Thursday, June 22, 2006

Freaky broom lady

Today, my son and daughter and myself went to MORE garage sales. Love em! This was another town one, so there were many many to choose from. Perhaps about ten into them, we came were in a really nice subdivision and I found a red wicker broom. The kind you put by the door.
The lady doing the selling, looked vaguely familiar, I think she is in our 4H group. And I believe she is one of the horse people. Not that she IS a horse, but that they show horses. Those horse people generally don't tend to get along with the rest of us. The cow people, and the swine people, they get alone pretty well. The beef people and the sheep people, can tolerate each other, but those fowl people and the goat people they are thick as thieves. Never figured out why though. Hmmm a mystery.
But, I digress. This horse lady, she was interested in why I was buying the broom, and what it's purpose was. She said she and her daughter had been trying to figure out what it was used for.

This is where I was just....me.
I told them, that actually, you were supposed to hang it on the left side of your front door. And this would ward off evil spirits and nasty things you didn't want coming into your home. They looked at me like they were going for the pitch forks and burning torches. I paid my two dollars and added as I was leaving her driveway..."If you were so inclined to believe such things." smiled a big toothy smile and walked away.

Patrick was walking with me and he quietly added.
"I think you freaked those people out. And did I mention I think they are horse people from our 4H?" I answered the only way I could.

"I am what I am, and I'm not ashamed of it. Be that witch or shaman or just your plane old mom."
He laughed and said in baby talk as he was patting me on the head.
"And that's why we loooove you sooo much"

Smart ass.

No comments: